White Collar Criminal Defense
With over thirty years practicing law, Mr. Grail focuses on White Collar defense of economic and business crime allegations made against business owners and professionals. We take on government and internal investigations, pre-indictment representation and trials, with special emphasis on health care, government contracting, securities, financial institution, environmental and criminal tax matters. Our best results come in matters which remain confidential, because we have prevailed on the Government NOT to prosecute. When called to court, we work tirelessly for the best possible result, and we work to mitigate other harmful collateral consequences of prosecution, including professional licensure, permitting and parallel civil suits.
The Grail Law firm has represented clients in criminal matters involving allegations of:
- Wire and mail fraud
- Federal securities and commodities fraud
- Criminal tax fraud and evasion
- Environmental compliance
- Public corruption
- Healthcare/anti-kickback allegations
- False Claims Act matters
- Criminal OSHA violations
- Bank Secrecy Act matters
- Customs violations
- Food & Drug Act violations
- Federal and State Controlled Substance Act violations and Diversion matters
Administrative Actions and Appeals
We defend claims of wrongdoing wherever they originate, including when Government enforcement attorneys (and sometimes business competitors as well) bring allegations of fraud and other misconduct in administrative agency proceedings, We have defended a publicly-traded energy producer in a commodity market manipulation investigation in Washington, and returned to the same agency once again to take on similar allegations of market deception on behalf of a world-wide commodities trader. We have regularly appeared before the SEC on insider trading and other suspicious trading practice inquiries, before the DEA on registration issues for pharmacies and health care prescribers, and before the EPA and the state Department of Environmental Protection to answer claims of spills and dumping. We regularly represent physicians, pharmacists, dentists and other professionals in licensing inquiries in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The Grail Law Firm has represented individuals and organizations before a wide range of administrative enforcement and lincensing actions, such as:
- SEC & CFTC
- PA Attorney General
- State Medical, Osteopath, Dental, Nursing & Other Professional Licensing Boards
Complex Commercial Litigation
Think of our firm for matters where you need us to step in on a moment’s notice, and especially where your regular outside firm is conflicted. We serve as trial counsel and also handle specialty matters in federal and state court, and in administrative agency litigation. Our practice emphasizes complex commercial litigation, injunctions, trade secret cases, IT breach allegations, First Amendment Defense and False Claims Act claims of all types, especially involving health care issues.
We practice lean staffing, but rely heavily on subject matter specialists and investigators who previously made their career in law enforcement chasing down facts and helping work up analyses.
- Defended a national pharmaceutical provider from federal and state False Claims Act allegations in federal court in Chicago;
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice of defamation claims against a well-known entertainer in federal court in Pittsburgh, and successfully defended that decision in the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, then sitting in Philadelphia;
- Advocated on behalf of a market-leading medical device designer/manufacturer before a key federal agency on product safety issues;
- Represented a world-leading commodity trader in defending market manipulation charges before a major federal administrative agency;
- Defended a bank against claims it made false statements to the federal government in connection with lending transactions.
Clients rely on us for proactive initiatives and compliance diligence, and especially in response to allegations/discovery of historical and ongoing improprieties. We work closely with forensic accountants and former federal law enforcement agents, to leverage their skill and bring decades of investigative experience.
Recently we have been retained for:
- Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering inquiries on behalf of a small, community bank;
- System-wide IT breach allegations at a privately-held service business;
- Accounting improprieties suspected at a major Western PA foundation;
- Foreign Corrupt Practice Act violation allegations by a major financial institution.